The Permanent Secretary Ministry of Foreign Affairs Vincent Bagiire Waiswa, has confirmed that Uganda received its’ first group of migrants under the bilateral migration arrangement signed with the U.S government last year.
In a statement released on Friday, Bagiire revealed that the first group of eight immigrants arrived in the country on Wednesday following a review and approval of their transfer to Uganda.
“Pursuant to this bilateral agreement, a group of eight (8) individuals, whose cases had been reviewed and approved by a USA immigration judge, arrived in Uganda from the USA on 1st April 2026, and their protection requests will be handled” he said.
However Bagiire declined to divulge any details of the eight migrants due to privacy reasons.
“For emphasis, these individuals are neither Ugandan nor American, but of African origin” he noted.
In July Last year, Uganda and USA signed an Agreement for Cooperation in the Examination of Protection Requests in July 2025.
Bagiire noted that it is in respect of third country nationals or individuals who are neither citizens of Uganda nor the USA, but of African origin, who may not be granted asylum in the USA and are reluctant to or may have concerns about returning to their countries of origin.
“This Safe Third Country Agreement takes into account both Governments’ international obligations, including the principle of non-refoulement that guarantees that no one should be returned to a country where they would face torture, cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment and which applies to all migrants, irrespective of their migration status” he said.
Bagiire further noted that it was on this basis that the Government of Uganda, having been considered a safe third country, reviewed and accepted a proposal from the Government of the USA to cooperate in the examination of protection requests of individuals who may be removed from the USA.
However on Thursday, the Uganda Law Society (ULS) sued government challenging it’s acceptance of deportees from the US, claiming the process lacks legal backing and proper consultation.
In a statement issued on April 2, ULS Vice President Anthony Asiimwe highlighted that key bodies like the Directorate of Citizenship and Immigration Control, Parliament, and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs were not involved and the eight migrants had landed at Entebbe International Airport, with no supporting policy or legislation in place.






















