The independent Uganda Electoral Commission has announced fresh elections for Local Council 1 (LC 1) chairpersons in 14 villages across the country.
In a letter dated August 12th to all candidates in selected areas who contented in the elections, the electoral Commission chairperson Justice Simon Byabakama, revealed that the decision was reached after the commission, established that the results of the said village election could not be ascertained and published in accordance with Article 61 (1) (d) of the country’s Constitution.
“Accordingly, the Commission, under MIN/COM/012/2026, hereby informs you that a repeat of this election will be conducted on a date to be communicated in due course” he said.
Following the highly anticipated polls held on July 28th, three former LC chairpersons that competed in the polls in Katabi Town Council, Wakiso district petitioned the commission seeking a probe into alleged voted rigging.
While addressing journalists a day after the elections, Mr Abbey Ssebowa, who was the chairperson Abayita Ababiri, alleged that officials used the entry slips into the voting area to determine the winner instead of counting people lining up behind the candidates.
“We had three lines of people behind me and my opponent had one line, we patiently waited for more than 20 minutes waiting to be counted in the line to no avail, then out of nowhere the electoral commission officials entered the voting area and removed the slips that enabled one entry into the voting area from residents” he said.

He added, “The official giving the out had a very large bag, after which they decided to begin counting the entry slips and not individuals lined up behind us, yet it’s by law that the LC 1 elections are meant to be for lining up, unlike other national voting activities where voting slips are ticked and placed in ballot boxes”
He further alleged that a number of opposing candidates used underage school going children to rig the vote.
“At the time of voting, they made them wear Hijabs and join the lines, which isn’t right. We don’t refuse to be won, but let’s be won in accordance with the laws put in place by the Electoral Commission, losing in an election is normal” he said.
Mr Joseph Masunku an area councillor, said many of the area residents were denied the opportunity to vote after they were chased away from the polling stations by security personnel, which didn’t enable them participate in the vote count or even selection of the village committees.
On Tuesday, the EC spokesperson Mr Julius Mucunguzi, revealed that the commission will continue to issue and release decisions arising out of complaints that were brought to the Commission by some complainants who had issues to raise regarding the nature and manner in which the local council elections were conducted.
“Some decisions have been issued and the relevant communities and local councils informed of the next course of action. The Electoral Commission would like to inform all those that brought their complaints to the Commission that it is well seized of your concerns and it will address them and revert to you as provided for in the Constitution” he said.
Other villages that have so far been selected to hold re-elections include; Soweto Village, Wandegeya Parish in Kawempe division, Buwambo Cell in Nansana Municipality, Luteete A Village-Wampewo ward in Kasangati Town Council, Kabuuma Cell – Busaabala ward in Makindye Ssabagabo, Bulamu Deputy zone – Bulamu Parish in Kasangati TC and Kasero village- Buloba Parish in Wakiso District.
Others include; Kasaato zone –Kisenyi II Parish in Kampala City, Busei B village – Busei parish- Nakalama subcounty in Iganga district, Makenke village- Namugangaparish – Nakifuma subcounty in Mukono district, Sempa zone-lwafu- Makidye division in Kampala, Mugalu zone-Kawempe II parish- Kawempe division in kampala, Lukwanga village- Wakiso Subcounty in Wakiso district, and Ssenge Village – Naluvule in Wakiso district.





















